Four generations of the Fargher family have run sheep and cattle in the Flinders Ranges.
Jane arrived in the area in 1984 and helped her husband Ross run the family’s 800sq km Nilpena Station, 35kms north of Parachilna.
In 1991 they bought their ‘local’, the Prairie Hotel, and manage pastoralist pursuits as well as hospitality, accommodation, dining, film production duties and awesome events . Sons Lachie and Eddie Fargher have also joined the evolving plot.
- 1876 Prairie Hotel first licensed
- 1877 Walter Buntin opened an eating house in Parachilna
- 1880 William Darmody takes over the Prairie Hotel from Mr Jackson in July
- 1905 William Darmody builds new stone hotel
- 1933 Lance Nocholls from Beltana swapped hotels with William Darmody.
- 1991 Jane and Ross Fargher bought their ‘local’ and remain very much ‘in residence’.